History – Part 1

A History of Picton Town Hall


This story is told to recall how significant our Town Hall town has been in the lives of Picton’s citizens, throughout its long history to the present.

It all began with a donation to the community. In 1866, Lt. Col. Walter Ross gave a piece of land, on the corner of Ross and King Street. A key figure in Prince Edward County, Walter Ross served as a councillor and a mayor for Picton as well as an MPP.

This donated lot behind Main Street was offered, with Kingston as the inspiration, for a farmer’s market and a hall. It was, in effect, a civic centre … market stalls, an engine hall for fire engines with hose tower, council chambers, a clerk’s residence and an upstairs public hall.


The survey document identifies ‘The lot coloured Pink is presented and the part coloured Green Sold to the Town of Picton by Lt. Col. Ross, M.P.P.‘.

Since 1866 our Town Hall has contributed to Picton and its community in numerous ways.

Part of our historic fabric


It’s part of our historic fabric.
Built in 1866 for $6000 for utilitarian purposes, it isn’t fancy, but it’s a handsome building of architectural merit.

With beautiful brick detail and six over six sash windows, it presents a well proportioned, pedimented frame.

Remarkably, it remains largely true to its original form.

Part of Picton’s growth as an important, civic centre

Our hall is part of Picton’s growth as an important, civic centre.

The building of the Town Hall was symbolic of Picton’s progress. Described as a “frontier town”,
Picton is drawn here in 1847 by J.P.Downes [below left], with a main street of wooden buildings.

The town grew more sophisticated, as we see in Ackerman’s drawing {below right] of the 1869 Main Street. Picton has brick buildings, smart hotels, and prosperous merchant homes. And, of course, the proud addition of a town hall and market place.


Comments are closed.