Under the Ontario Heritage Act municipalities can pass by-laws to designate properties of cultural heritage value or interest.
Designation of heritage properties is a way of publically acknowledging a property’s value to a community. At the same time, designation helps to ensure the conservation of these important places for the benefit and enjoyment of present and future generations.
On September 27, 1983, By-law #1566 was enacted to designate the old Town Hall as a heritage building by reason of its Architectural and Historical Significance.
Build(sic) in 1866, the Town Hall has been converted into a fire station and office space. The building retains much of its detail especially on the second storey. Extending around the whole of the building is a band course and second course of brick dentils. Although both gable ends contain a prominent pediment, only the front has a rounded arch vent. The façade received the most attention featuring evenly spaced brick pilasters. In the centre section are twin round headed windows. The rest are elongated, segmentally arched 6/6 windows.
Prince Edward County Heritage Listings [25kb PDF] compiled by PEHAC.